.The Ink pot Toll Bar
A BRIEF HISTORY OF RAINWORTH.
Rainworth is a semi-rural Village in
The History of Rainworth as a settlement, goes back to Roman Times and has strong Roman ties. The Village originated from The Roman Way, a Roman road, which ran through
A Roman Camp was set up by the River Idle, now Rainworth Water which runs through Rainworth
In the year 617 AD King Redwald of East Angles (Anglia) raised an Army to fight King Ethelfrid of Northumbria, during a fierce battle on the east side of the River Idle, near to what is now known as Rainworth Bogs ( Rainworth Heath) off Pit Lane , Redwald`s son, Ragnhere was killed. To mark his death the River Idle became known as Regnhere`s wath or Ford ,now known as Rainworth Water, the immediate area also became known as Reynwath, Reynethwath, Water of Reynwath, Reynewath, Reynewathford, Raynswathe, Reinwarth Forthe, Rayngwath and finally became known as Rainworth.
In the 12th Century, around 1190 Rainworth Lodge was built, a hunting lodge thought to be used by Rufus Clarke, a forester, with King John`s hunting party and later was the Home of Joseph Whitaker
Details of Rainworth are scarce until the sixteenth century when there were only thirteen dwellings. The first was Three Thorn Hollow Farm , there were six in the old village square now known as Ramsden Croft. Two more on the main
The Midland Railway opened a Link Line in April 1871 to two of the company`s feeder Lines from Nottingham, opened in the 1840`s, to the Mansfield Line and Lincoln Line , as the latter passed Southwell a single track branch was opened in 1847, from the Minster Town to Rolleston Junction 2.5 miles away, a shuttle service connected with most Nottingham to Lincoln Trains.This evidently did not pay, by 1853 the service was down to one Train per week and Horse drawn at that !
Steam services were reintroduced in 1860 and the line extended via Rainworth to
Rainworth Station stood approximately on the Church Bank housing development. Race excursions to Southwell Races , and to the
For many years water was delivered to the Station in Milk Churns , until a piped water supply was installed.
During the days of the Toll House and Weighbridge a Door and Window Tax was imposed , because of this many people bricked up some doors and windows to pay less Tax. When this was abolished a Hearth Tax was introduced , which meant that for every Hearth / fireplace in the House, a Tax must be paid. Like the doors and winows, many fireplaces were removed or bricked up.
Rainworth`s first Church services were held in the large kitchen at the Lake Farm it was also used as a day school for about 20 years until 1890 . Rainworth wanted it`s own Church and an application was made to Lord saville of Rufford, for a piece of land on which to build it, not only did he grant the land, but he also gave a wooden building which after some alterations became rainworth`s first Church. It was opened with a special service on the Feast of St. Simon and
Rainworth`s first resident Vicar was the Reverend H. E. Fitzherbert who had the Vicarage built in 1912, he had a staff of 9, it was said the Governess was a German Spy during World War One. Mr Fitzherbert left the Vicarage to the people of Rainworth
In 1895 Mansfield corporation built a waterworks off Southwell road near to the Boundary, it was demolished in 1956 to be replaced from steam power with all electrical powered generators to pump up the water from a depth of 200 feet or more. Before the Waterworks the early residents of Rainworth drew water from a well at the old square, now Ramsden Croft, also the Toll House until a cat fell into it, they they had a mains supply connected. The Nurseries had a hand pump, and the Robin |Hood Pub had two, one inside the kitchen the other outside for travellers animals
In 1911 the Bolsover Colliery sank 2 shafts which were to become Rufford Colliery during the sinking, on February 7 1913 there was a terrible disaster caused by overwinding because of a faulty nail, a temporary awning fell on the engine mans head just as the revolving drums drew a seven ton steel water barrel
from the shaft, killing 14 men and injuring many others. One died later. The job of recovering the bodies took four days because of the flow of an underground stream.Four escaped by hanging on to debris floating in the icy water at the bottom of the shaft.
Those killed were ??..
Andrew Bagnall aged 37
Frank Bagnell 27
Thomas Jordan 32
Joseph Bettney 41
John Tomlinson 49
Jesse Hart 26
Henry Scott 47
Walter Storey 38
John Knoles 33
Herbert Woodward 25
James Wigman 43
Patrick Mulligan 33
William Hollins 22
Fredrick Paddon 36.
The Mansfield Jeweller Mr John C. Brittain who owned a shop in
The poem read as follows :-
In the Midst of Life.
Far from the haunts of Men
An awful death to thirteen came
May I relate it then :-
Get up for dinner - do please Dad
Andwake the boys for me
I would not have you miss a shift
It means so much for we
Father and Son they rise and dress
Enjoy their mid- day meal
Mother now them up some snap
How proud she must feel
As each in turn bids her goodbye
And then adieu to all
O ! had they known ere close of day
Lifes curtain, death, would fall
Conductor, will you stop the car
My mates now all will ride
With hearts so light, and spirits bright
They`re seated side by side
Too soon they reach terminus
Each to other talk
No thought of danger filled their breasts
And on and on they walk
Those sinkings they at Rufford reach
The brave eighteen go down
Each work and toil for those they love
O! what will be their Crowns
A crash ! A crash ! Seven Tons in weight
This cylinder was hurled
It thundered in that well of death
O ! what a death unfurled
Deep down in that black hole tonight
Those toilers thirteen sleep
No more will Daddy, Dear come home
Mother and Children weep
Their heads are crowned with glory now
They`re natures noble men
They gave their lives for others too
And died within their den
God grant them now a resting place
In mansions of the blest
Whose souls for love have paid the price
May each for Heaven find rest
One more now joins the stricken band
Alas We`ve left but four
With them that night will live each day
Until life`s journey`s o`er
Too late for some, Two men go down
To answer calls for aid
Yet not too late to save four lives
The hand of death thus stayed
Those to the rescue who went down
The bravest of the brave
A rich reward awaits you both
Who risked your lives to save.
With the sinking of the pit coal was reached on
The next development was the ?Model village? and
Many shops were then built, and the Village green developed . Rainworth had many shops the first was in one of the two houses on Southwell Road at the centre of the village, when the population began to increase in the White City three more shops opened Mr H Eames had a Post Office on the corner of Southwell Road and First Avenue, he also had one of the only two Motor Vehicles in Rainworth. On the other corner Mr J Gregory had the first Newsagents Shop near the Boundary of Mansfield he also taught the Violin in his spare time .Mrs. Coleman had a Grocery Shop
With the development of the
Mr Eams ran a Taxi service to
On the Village Green an Elm tree was planted, some records show the year 1879, others 1905, the same year the waterworks opened it became known as the Tree of Knowledge as Colliers met and sat under it to discuss matters concerning early union issues, and became a local landmark, situated in front of the Robin Hood Pub.During 1962 it was cut down after being held up with iron bars and became dangerous. A stump was left, and the tree started growing again and Rainworth once again had it`s tree back. During the 1970`s it became the subject of heated arguments at Parish Council Meetings, as a road improvement scheme was proposed by the County council, much to the annoyance of local conservationists, as this would mean the tree would be cut down, as it was a hazard to motorists, as traffic approaching the junction from Kiklington road could not see traffic from Mansfield or Blidworth. After a lot of complaints a tree surgeon examined the tree a found it had Dutch Elm Disease and the tree was cut down and removed . Some locals believe the tree did not have any signs of disease when being removed , and was a ploy by the Council to get their own way for the road improvent scheme.
Localy sourced information,Courtesy of and thanks to James Spinks, Mansfield Chad, Nottingham Evening Post and numerous local publications.
Details of Ransom Hospital for the treatment of Consumption, the Duke of Portland offered 50 acres of Pine woodland and moorland on Ratcher hill, to build aspecialist Sanitorium.
Details from Mansfield Advertiser 30.11.1900
THE FOREST STONE LINDHURST
Below is the inscription on the plate - in 1813 James Dowland states that the
plate was taken off the Lindhurst Stone by some tinkers, some years ago (he
does not say if it was found or if this plate is in place of the lost one).
THIS STONE FROM THE ANCIENT MARKET HOUSE
OF MANSFIELD WAS PLACED HERE A.D. 1752 BY
HENRIETTA CAVENDISH HOLLES HARLEY COUNTESS OF OXFORD
AND LADY OF THE MANOR
TO MARK THE SITE OFTHE GREAT FOREST COURT AND SWAINMOON THIS PLACE
AND SWAINMOON THIS PLACE
THE JUSTICES IN EYRE MET THE
GREAT OFFICERS OF THE FOREST
EVERY SEVEN YEARS FOR THE
ADMINISTRATION OF ITS AFFAIRS
AND HERE ALSO THE VERDERERS
MET THE SWAINS OR FREEHOLDERS
IN A MOOT THREE TIMES A YEAR
FOR THE PURPOSE OF
RENTING THE PASTURE
On the days this business was being conducted a feast and sports were held
known as the Harlow Wood Feast at Lincoln Dale, all kinds of entertainment
dancing and merryment took place adjacent to this site. In the Forest Book of1761 it states at length that there was a new song for the Harlow Wood Feast it is several verses long it goes — LONG LIVE GEORGE OUR GREAT KING
it is several verses long it goes — LONG LIVE GEORGE OUR GREAT KING
AND PORTLAND LADY OF THE MANOR IT ALSO INCLUDES VERSES
ABOUT ROBIN HOOD.
In the Forest Book it states Lincoln Dale Attachment Court 1st YR QUEEN
ANNE 1702? (POOR WRITING) Thomas How was the keeper of Lindhurst
THE KINGS MANOR OF THE LIBERTY OF LINDHURST 12171270 AJD.
And it is to knowe that, all the wode growing on the eesh parte of the grete
waye that leedith betwyx Notyngham, and Maunsfield unto Sothwell rode in
lengith, and the syke of Raynewath on the southe parte, and the valey where
a syke, caliyd the olde Idle hathe the course on the north parte in lengith, is the
chieffe wode of the foresh of Shirewood that is callyd Lyndehurst and hit
appertaynyth to no towne or to no man is, arented, but hit is kepte fok? the
sustentacion of the workes of the, Castell of Notyngham, and hit is called the
Kynges, chieff demaynes, and a man whos name was Rauff Clere, was the chieff
servant of Robert Everingham, and was forester there, and gederid, chymnage
throgh, all the Forest, and dwellyd, at a lodge that was callyd ye new repare,
the whiche was bylded on the southe parte of the seyed Lyndehurst besyde the
syke of Raynewath etc — (a Wollaton manuscript F.O.A.T. verso)
Ref: Thorotons Antiquities of Nottynhamshire 1677 Page 505/6 Robert
Everingham (1217-1270 HENRY III) - was keeper of the Forest,
In the Forest Book it states the keeper of Lindhurst hath twenty shillings
by yeare (and the High Wells keeper hath the same).
R. Mellors in his book says about the year 1194 provision for the repair of
Nottingham Castle was by the proceeds of land known as The Liberty of the
Kings Manor of Lindhurst.
1366. CIRCA. The stone for Romylowes Tower Nottingham Castle, was from
Basford and Gedling and the timber from Shirewood Lindhurst.
The chief wood of the Kynge which is called Lindhurst is hurted of one
hundred small oaks, by Stephen Numbeiow for Nottingham Castle.
1632 Lindhurst is shown on a tapestry map made by Mary Eyre at Rampton
In the Blidworth Church Parish register is entered three burials —
Feb.21/1676 Roger Mue of Lindhurst buried (extra parochial.)
Aug.25/1695 Joseph Breedon of Lindhurst buried (extra parochial)
Mar.19/1743 Samuel Lowe of Lindhurst buried (extra parochial)
The Forest book states — Lindhurst timber warrant for the repair of Newark
and Nottingham Castles 1586 A.D.
The Duke of Buckingham Heir of the Duke of Rutland (Manners) 1664 A.D.
sold Nottingham Castle to the first Duke of Newcastle who died in 1676 aged
33 years (could this have been how Lindhurst came into the possession of the
Duke of Newcastle as it was kept for the sustentation of Nottingham Castle.
1586/June 9 — A warrant was given by the Lord Treasurer Sir Walter
Mildmay to Rowland Dand to fell trees for the repair of Nottingham and Newark
1739 November 28 the Earl of Oxfords trustees 1. John Vessey Master of the
Rolls - Robert Harley of Lincolns Inn and James West of Middle Temple.
2. The Earl and Countess of Oxford. 3. Evelyn Duke of Kingston, that Lindhurst
ground is 730 acres total in the Sherwood Forest with two messuages - with its
tythes 31 years £30 per annum, and 2/- per acre ploughed. 2. The Earl to pay
taxes and the seals of 1. John Vessey to be affixed (A Deed).
1759 April 21. Lease 1. Joseph Briggs for the Duchess of Portland 2. Richard
Whitehouse and John Robinson —the Duchess to pay for building a house and
outhouses — and allow Richard Whitehouse and John Robinson £70 for fencing
500 acres, and £280 for fencing 500 acres into 25 closes of 20 acres each the
Duchess to allow wood for rails etc and one gate and two stoops for each close.
1658 Lindhurst and Lindhurst Plaine, a claim to see if Lindhurst and Noe
Mans Wood formerly Forsworn Wood is in the Manor of Mansfield.
Later a dispute between the Duke of Portland and the Savilles of Rufford on
the ownership of Noe Mans Wood.
1839 January 12 Lindhurst Pew in Blidworth Church. The Duke of Portland
paid £20 for a pew in the Church enlargement assigned for ever to tennants
of Lindhurst plus 10/- per year rent, John Downall was Vicar of Blidworth.
The Duke of Newcastle or the Marquis took possession of Lindhurst and Noe;
Mans Wood and as no grant could be found, the Parliamentary Commifisionef*
arrived at Mansfield in 1792 (at this later date about the time of the inclosure act)
to investigate, and the Dukes agent informed them that the Duke had been
allowed undisturbedly to exercise the rights of ownership so long that he was
protected by the act of the nineth year of George III cap 16 1769 from re
covery, and therefore he should maintain the ownership entire, nothing further
was done about it and it seems the Dukes claim was accepted as valid.
The Kings Manor of Lindhurst 1820 to 1873 is now the property of the Duke
of Portland, Richard Godson Millns Esq is about to quit Lindhurst after an uninterupted
tenancy of (53) Fifty Three years (this was printed in 1873).
In a dispute a court was held at Mansfield against a claim that Lindhurst be
in Skegby Manor or Mansfield, this could be the one in 1658 that included Noe
The old Moated hunting Lodge built on the south part of Lindhurst where
Raff Clere was Forester in 1251 A.D., and took tolls from people passing through
the Forest. This Raff Clere appears as a Verderer in 1287 A.D. — He was dis
missed as unqualified in 1293 A.D. — The rentals and surveys for 1295 show
him to have been the largest tenant in Mansfield Manor —. While he was in office
he attended the Forest assemblies which met at Lindhurst on the site of the
The lakes on the Rainworth Water were used as the feeders for the irrigation
system for Lindhurst flood meadows to create green pasture, there was also
an irrigation system on the Old Idle or Foul Evil brook side of Lindhurst, the
large slotted sluice stones and other stones are still in evidence, they being removal
and deposited near the Rainworth Water, I estimate these were constructed about
1816 CIRCA the time when the Duke constructed the Flood Dykes at Mansfield
The moated site at Ltndhurst according to J.H. Knighton in his book History
of Mansfield could have been tfoe site for the Manor of Mansfield 1342 A.D.
quote - owing to the fact that Mansfield Manor was part of the Crown demesnes
for the greater part of its existence, there was no great need for a large Manor
House - at an inquisition held at Mansfield on the death of Eleanor wife of Sir
Nicholas Dagworth in 1342 it was definitely stated that there was not any Manor
House built, but there was a site. Here in 1251 A.D. stood the Newe Repare a
hunting lodge, later the residence for the under Lords of the 13th and 14th
centuries when they visited Mansfield Moot Court. A document in 1602 states
tyme out of the memory of any man living there hath beene a house in Mansfield
called Moot Hall where the Courts of the Manor, and the Forest Courts have been
held — unquote.
Horner Groves also refers to this site on page 23 of his History of Mansfield.
This moated site remained in the possession of the Duke of Portland until his
trustees sold a strip of land with the lakes and moat to Tom Shipside December
31/1925 and according to this Deed it is stated as being in the Parish of Lindhurst
— There is also an Indenture of August 2/1879 with the most Noble William John
Cavendish Bentinck Scott the then Duke of Portland along with this Deed.
Near by but on the other side of the Rifawoirth water is what is
Friar Tucks Well - this was a spring claimed, to be chalybeate or
minerals of iron etc, it has been dried up fo? a long time, and is not identifiable to anyone who does not know its location, it is only a few feet inside theBlidworth border from Lindhurat on private ground.
NO MANS WOOD
No Mans Wood formerly Forsworn Wood a dispute between the Duke of
Portland and Savflle The Earl of Scarborough, Rufford Abbey.
1851 October 21 Award by Nathan Weatheril eseheater and adjudicator - The
boundaries are given in very exacting detail and this is a very brief summary of
Stones marked M (Mansfield) MW (Mansfield Woodhouse) R (Rufford) begins
at three stones that mark this point then to the octagonal toU bar house at
Rainworth then to the apex of Strawberry Hill — also to triangular figures cut
in the turf as markers, then over the old Eakring Road Mansfield Woodhouse then by Elmsley Lodge Farm fence — then it crosses the ancient road from Blidworthto Ciipstone and Warsop now stopped under the Mansfield and Mansfield WoodhouBe Inclosure, — by the boundary stones marked M — MW — and R.
WoodhouBe Inclosure, — by the boundary stones marked M — MW — and R.
The wood was awarded to the Savilles of Rufford Abbey.
In a dispute in Eyre there was a dispute against a claim that Lindhurst be in
the Manor of Skegby or Mansfield this could be the one in 1658 that included
Noe Mans Wood.
THE LIBERTY OF HAYWOOD OAKS MANOR
Shortly subsequent to the Conquest The Manor of Haywood Oaks is described
as a parcel of the Great Honour of Peveril son of William the Conqueror of whom
it was held by Sir Richard de Bingham. This family must have resided on the spot
for some generations as we find mention of no less than three of his name. One
Temp Edward II is thus described — Richard Byngham Knight that is dede made
one assart affore the last iorney in his owne soile of Heywood of VI acres of
grounde by estymacion and hyt liethe waste. The Manor for a time passed to
another member of the family for we read Edward II That the wode of Heywood
is wasted of old since the last Journai by Rawffe Bugge of Nottingham that is
dede, and then another Richard Byngjaam is mentioned as inhabiting after this
despoiler of the Manor is written — It iongeth unto Byngham and the tradition
exists that the tenant has a right to a seat in Bingham Church.
1212 A.D. CIRCA a great meet was held at Haywood Oaks, there would be a
tournament and the Knights and all having to give service to the King would
have to attend and prove their weapons, the archers and swordsmen would attend
this Wapentake or Weapontouch, it is recorded as The Great Journaie and Regarde
at Heywood Oaks Juxta Blydworthe by Brian De'Insula The Kynge Hys Grande
Justiciarce CIRCA 1212 A.D.
Blidworth vestry book entry Jan. 12/1839 William
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rainworth like this:
RAINWORTH, a hamlet in Blidworth parish, Notts; 3¼ miles S E of Mansfield. Pop., 71
The origins of Rainworth.
Druids were in
Sherwood Forest long before Robin Hood.
Rainworth and Fountain Dale with Copmanhurst , all parts of Sherwood Forest and mostly within the parish of Blidworth, are pre-eminently the
land of Robin Hood. Outlaw Balladry has much to say of these Greenwood Robbers and has invested them and their haunts with the glamour of romance and Rainworth at least has a history that goes back to the Roman era and possibly to ages yet more remote.
The local annals are not only intermittent, displaying long gaps, but many of the most important events ascribed to Rainworth and Fountain Dale are or have been disputed. No general agreement exists as to the origin and meaning of the village name.
A bronze Celt found here has been described by one expert as “Probably British” but by another as “Roman”. The important
Battle of the Idle reputed to be the “earliest recorded event in Nottinghamshire History” was fought in 617AD is said to have taken place “near Rainworth” although other authorities suggest it is nearer Retford.
Whether Robin Hood a Man or Myth is a question which opinions differ, the main view is that the existence of an outlaw chief around when numerous Legends have accrued, and existed during the first half of the 14th Century.
A claim has been advanced, linking the Druids with Blidworth, but without subscribing to the belief of older Antiquaries that hereabouts are Oaks ancient enough to have associations with Celtic worship, there seems to be no valid reason for refusal to believe that Druid Priests celebrated their rites and ceremonies in the vicinity and were familiar with the River known as Rainworth Water formerly the Old Idle.
The glamorous tale of Robin Hood and the cultural Friar Tuck as presented in “Ivanhoe” centres on Fountaindale and Copmanhurst which is now more of a name that a place for so little remains of it. As Sir Walter (Scott) portrayed the incidents he made no pretence of their authenticity but as he explained, based on Ballads and liberally embellished with fiction of his own creation. His story purports to narrate how Richard I, outstripped by companions in the chase and became lost in the darkening shades of Sherwood Forest at Eventide, found shelter for the night in friar Tuck`s hermitage in sequestered Copmanhurst where he gained admission and spent the evening drinking wine with Friar Tuck. “Then the Holy Friar threw to the winds his philosophy of fasting and prayer and spent a Jovial night together, it wasn`t until the morning that Robin Hood appeared on the scene and the King`s anxious courtiers discovered the Monarch there, that friar Tuck learned the quality of his guest, but the King laughed it off and soon shared in the assault made by the outlaw band on Front-de-boeuf`s imaginary Castle of Torquilstone”.
Scott`s version of the Copmanhurst adventures to the time of King Richard was to present a Medieval picture but Cour De Lion suited his purpose better that the week King Edward II in whose time Robin is considered to have flourished.
The Black Knight, Richard in disguise and friar Tuck drinking by the light of a single torch (Ivanhoe) c.1824
Roman Road at Rainworth.
Though Rainworth`s British associations are doubtful, there is no uncertainty, as to its Roman Connections .A Roman road which stuck off from the Fosseway at Newark passed Southwell and proceeded via Rainworth to Mansfield.
Vestiges of it were observed by Major Rooke near the end of the 18th century at Norwell park and Kirklington and although it`s course through Sherwood Forest became largely lost in succeeding ages he found traces again near Rainworth it can be also traced by it`s Fords and River crossings as at Salterford and Rufford.
The second syllable of the village name preserves the old Norse term “Wath” or Ford. The site of the original ford is now uncertain but in oldest map of the Rufford estate it figures as “Roman`s ford” and the road later became known as “Pedlar`s way”
One theory is an individual named Regen whose “worth” or farm it was, however the Place-name society prefers to interpret it as representing the old Norse “Hrein” which means “Clean” therefore meaning “Clean Wath (or Ford), though it admits that as the Ford is on the Boundary between Broxtowe and Bassetlaw the Last element may be the old Norse “rein” (a boundary strip).
Whatever it`s name implies it was extant(in existence)by about 900AD though it does not appear in records until 1253 when it appears as Reynwath, though it is doubtful if a permanent settlement had been made here at that time.
The theory that the historic battle of the River Idle (617AD) which led to the adoption of Christianity in Saxon
England, was fought hereabouts appears to rest solely on the fact that the stream crossed by the ford was in those days known as the Old Idle
It was observed by W H Stevenson that the Idle as it is now known starts at the junction of the Maun and the Meden, but in Bede`s time (673 – 735)and until about the 5 century , it commenced at Fountaindale and and so occupied the course of the present Rainworth Water and the lower beaches of the Meden.
A Forest perambulation of 253 records that “by the great road from Southwell to Farnsfield unto Rainworth dyke on the south side is an alley where the Old Idle belongs to the King it`s profits going towards the maintenance of the Royal castle of Nottingham”
Another of 1300 tells that the boundary of
Sherwood Forest came “by the Wood of the Abbott of Rufford and stretches itself as far as Reyne ford and thence towards the east”
It seems then that this district was largely woodland and that the Ford, which probably originated the village,was the local point for traffic between Southwell and Mansfield.
Based on Notts villages articles by W.E.D. c.1954